Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Christine's surgery

I'm sure EVERYONE knows about this by now, but for those of my family/friends who don't do facebook but DO look on my blog, i will update everyone. Christine has been getting increasingly tight the past 4 or 5 months and when we took her in in September, they decreased the amount of her medicine to see if her pump was even making a difference and within two weeks, her right leg was bent up like a pelican and she was almost curled into a little ball from being so tight. They took some samples of her spinal fluid to see if there was any medicine in there and found that there wasn't. So, on January 27, they took her in for surgery and replaced her medicine pump and put a new catheter in her spine. The surgery went really well and we got back to her room. We met with her rehab doctor on Wednesday afternoon and made a game plan for increasing the dosage in her pump. Well, the next morning while I was asleep, another rehab doctor came in and FREAKED basically because she was still so tight and increased the dosage WAY up. By about 11am, her heart rate dropped from 100 to in the 40's. She went into a deep sleep and when Aaron got there about 1 or 2 in the afternoon, she was as loose as a rag doll. Aaron was getting sick and so when they decided to transfer her to the PICU, he had to leave. My dad was with me and we sat with her. The PICU got slammed on Thursday night, so there was nowhere to sleep, so I slept in a recliner! She spent all day Friday in there and finally about 4:30-5:00, the medicine wore off and she was back to herself. So, it took about 34 hours for her to get it out of her system. On Friday night, they moved us back to the Neuroscience Trauma Unit(NTU). On Saturday morning, the doctor who overdosed her came in and apologized profusely and gradually started the increase process again. This time went MUCH BETTER and she is handling it well. She seems to be much happier and is looser. The looser part is what excites me because I can change her diaper a lot easier. We came home on Sunday, January 31. I have to keep her home from school for this week and she has to wear a waist band for about 6 weeks, but other than that, everything looks good. I just want to say thank you again to everyone for all their good thoughts and well wishes. It helped us TONS!!


Science Teacher Mommy said...

Wow, Amy. What a week you have had. You are a rock.

Allie said...

Im glad your all home and safe!!